Friday, August 24, 2012

Travel Log, Part Four

###
I watch the best movies on planes. Or rather I watch movies on planes. Otherwise, I have a hard time sitting still. Maybe it's because of my chatty couch aka a couch that is only good for perching with cocktail chatter is the most uncomfortable place to lounge in the entire world, but my movie ADD could also be attributed that when I'm at my apartment, I start ironing or worse, thinking. Or maybe it is because airlines do a better job picking movies than I do, and they show edited versions. It's relaxing to watch movies dropped to the PG plane. Airplanes are my refuge. Planes headed west specifically because I sleep on transatlantic flights going east. No reason to destroy the first day of whatever being the walking dead. But west. Oh I love west.

On a flight west, I once watched What Happens in Vegas. Hilarious flick. So good, in fact, I watched it twice the same flight. Cringed, winced, jerked away from the violence (my seat partner loved me) all through Affleck's amazing Town. Sobbed, heaved embarrassingly through Bucket List...ah Morgan Freeman. This trip, (in a surprise move because it is totally unrealistic and definitely corny) I cried at the end of a terrible Eddie Murphy movie where thanks to a failed book deal with a guru, the dastardly book agent finds his soul and refinds his family after becoming metaphorically chained to a tree. When he utters a word, a leaf falls and when the leaves are all gone, uh oh.

On the heels of that movie, I grinned like the very young silly girl I am too old to be watching some rom-act-ick. Is that what one calls a romance + action flick? Starring Reese Witherspoon and two really good-looking guys she's choosing between who happen to be best friends and CIA agents. Bliss.

Forgot how much I love flying. Before the movies started, I outlined a 10-year life plan for myself. Things I can actually control and should be controlling. On the list was to take a metal working class and own real estate (I just renewed my apartment lease). Honesty is easier to reach when trapped in the aluminum hull of a speeding airplane. I love flying even when it's coach and that's saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment