Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Silver Toast Racks: I've Got Mail

Toast racks fell out of favor when most of the civilized world dispensed with uniformed help serving breakfast. Now we scarf down breakfast bars on the run but the shift in habit left many toast racks with form but no function. Sad....

The idea is not revolutionary, but I've recently moved and am searching for ways to neatly stash my mail. Antique silver toast racks, voila! I love the idea of good-looking + environmentally responsible solutions to my everyday problems...and mail is such a chore.

Add Image
This sterling pair from Ebay are lovely as well as practical because with two you can organize your mail according to personal correspondence vs bills or for Jack vs Jill.







The arching on this German sterling toast rack is elegant and check out the gorgeous engraving on the base. The solid floor of the toast rack would also keep smaller mail from slipping down.









My eternal conundrum is when should you save up to buy The Real Deal (a sterling silver antique piece)? And when do you settle for Good Enough and her Siamese twin, Affordable? Here's a sweet hotel silver piece that was sold for $14 off Etsy.






One last option: a Victorian silver plated pierced toast rack circa 1900. I love this option, and I think it resembles a family of owls. A bit. Wisdom, what?






Happy hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment